The holiday season can be a fun, exciting time. It also can be stressful and exhausting, particularly for those who are in recovery from a drug or alcohol addiction.
Let’s take a look at five tips to help you remain sober during the holiday season.
- Build Your Support System
- Meet regularly with a therapist, sponsor, counselor, and/or support group
- Discuss your holiday season concerns and worries with family members, friends, and other loved ones
- Be patient with loved ones who want to help but struggle to provide the support you need, exactly how and when you need it
- Plan Ahead for Holiday Gatherings
- Limit your time in stressful situations
- Don’t be afraid to say “No” if you feel uncomfortable
- Avoid locations where you risk relapse
- Make a list of people you can call in an emergency
- Develop an “escape plan” so you can leave a holiday gathering on short notice
- Take Care of Yourself
- Eat healthy meals
- Exercise regularly
- Take time for reflection
- Connect with loved ones
- Express Your Gratitude
- Make a daily gratitude list
- Volunteer at a local charitable organization
- Find new ways to celebrate your sobriety with others
- Stay in the Moment
- Live one day at a time
- Try not to think about past mistakes and/or potential pitfalls you could encounter in the future
- Focus on the positive aspects of the holiday season
The holiday season can be an ideal time to undergo addiction treatment, too. In fact, enrolling in an addiction treatment program may prove to be the best holiday gift that a person can provide to his or her loved ones.
Clear Sky Recovery offers an ibogaine treatment center designed to provide safe and rapid detox. To learn more, please contact us at 305.901.5371.